Joining the Network
Do you have an upcoming workshop, special issue, or similar event centered around FAT* topics? We invite you to apply to have it considered a part of the network.
Requirements and Process
Fill out the application form,
and the Network Co-Chairs will consider your application and get in touch with you.
To be part of the FAT* Network, your event must:
- Engage with FAT* topics in a central way. For examples, see previous events below.
- Have an open call for participation — i.e., not only for invited participants.
- Adopt a Code of Conduct. (Workshops attached to ACM-sponsored events are automatically subject to the ACM Policy Against Harassment.)
- Disseminate a summary/report after the event (which can range in format from a brief Medium post to a more detailed publication).
When you become part of the FAT* Network:
- We’ll help spread the word about your event to the FAT* community via the network web site, FAT* social media, and in a monthly digest sent to the FAT-ANNOUNCE listserv.
- We’ll help give visibility to your event outcomes (workshop reports or other documents).
- Association with FAT* helps communicate the scope/intent of the event to participants.
These opportunities are upcoming and are currently accepting submissions:
- Fair ML for Health, a workshop to be held at NeurIPS 2019. Papers due September 9, 2019.
- Machine Learning for the Developing World: Challenges and Risks, a workshop to be held at NeurIPS 2019. Papers due September 13, 2019.
- Human-Centric Machine Learning, a workshop to be held at NeurIPS 2019. Papers due September 15, 2019.
- Contestability in Algorithmic Systems, a workshop at CSCW 2019. Papers due Sep. 20, 2019.
- Workshop on Designing Human-Centric MIR Systems, a workshop at ISMIR 2019. Papers due Oct. 4, 2019.
- AI@Work, abstracts due Oct. 18, 2019.
- The FATE of AI in Education special issue of the International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education (IJAIED), abstracts due Jan 31, 2020.
Upcoming Events and Publications
These opportunities are no longer accepting submissions; look out for their outcomes soon! Upcoming events may still be open for participation.
These opportunities have happened — look through them for interesting work!
Older Workshops and Events
These are various events held prior to the founding of the ACM FAT* Network which may be of similar interest. We present them here for historical purposes.
- Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency in Machine Learning (FAT/ML), NIPS 2014, ICML 2015, DTL 2016, KDD 2017
- Fairness in User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (FairUMAP), UMAP 2018 and 2019
- International Workshop on Software Fairness (FairWare), ICSE 2018
- Workshop on Responsible Recommendation (FAT/Rec), RECSYS 2017 and 2018
- Workshop on Data and Algorithmic Bias, CIKM 2017
- Singapore Workshop on Fairness, Accountability and Transparency in AI and Big Data, 2017
- Ethics in Natural Language Processing, EACL 2017
- Workshop on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency on the Web, WWW 2017
- Special Session on Explainability of Learning Machines, IJCNN 2017
- Workshop on Data and Algorithmic Transparency (DAT), 2016
- The Human Use of Machine Learning: An Interdisciplinary Workshop, IEEE SMC
- International Workshop on Privacy and Discrimination in Data Mining, IEEE ICDM 2016
- Machine Learning and the Law, NIPS 2016
- Interpretable Machine Learning for Complex Systems, NIPS 2016
- Workshop on Human Interpretability in Machine Learning, ICML 2016
- Workshop on the Ethics of Online Experimentation, WSDM 2016
- Auditing Algorithms From the Outside: Methods and Implications, ICWSM 2015
- Discrimination and Privacy-Aware Data Mining, IEEE ICDM 2012
- Workshop on Novelty and Diversity in Recommender Systems, ACM RECSYS 2011
- Governing Algorithms
- Auditing Algorithms NSF Workshop